Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled.

Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in spirit, for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake.

Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Matthew 5:3-12

Oh Lord,

Teach me to seek You and reveal yourself to me when I seek You.

For I cannot seek You unless You first teach me, nor find You unless You first reveal yourself to me.

Let me seek You in longing, and long for You in seeking.

Let me find You in love, and love You in finding.

~Saint Ambrose of Milan

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>

Name: Erin Yonke

Location: Aurora, IL

Info: I'm happily married to my husband and champion pro-life activist, Matt. I stay home with my three small boys; Ambrose (11/06), Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10).

Saturday, February 20, 2010



So, I've been thinking a bit about my intentions for Lent this year quite a bit over the last few days. Probably would have been a good thing to settle prior to Lent actually beginning, but. You know. Here we are.

I'm not really in a good place to engage the Eastern fast very well. I never have been, really, since I've always been either nursing or pregnant during Lent. Which, in a sense, is freeing. In another sense, it leaves you completely structure-less and confused about the ways you CAN engage in the great return.

So, this year I'm focusing on just eating simply. Simple food,simple living. Adequate nutrition, but no frills. We've cut television entirely and limited our audio pretty significantly as well. I so desperately want to teach my children (and myself) to feast well by teaching them to fast well.

I want to spend more time being mentally present at home during the day. Obviously, I'm physically present. And my heart is always filled with love and concern for my family. But the actual, real days are full of distractions and escapes--email, facebook, housework. I want to spend more time looking into my family's eyes when they're talking to me, I want to respond more quickly when they require something, and I want to minimize the things that make doing that more difficult.

I want to embrace the purifying experience that mothering is, and spend more time becoming aware of God's presence in the most menial parts of my day. I am learning that, as a mother of young children, sometimes prayer doesn't come in long, quiet, peaceful stretches. It usually comes in breaths, in sighs, in quick whispers of worry. Those prayers are real. They matter. God hears them, and they count. I want to fully internalize that this season.

So those, briefly, are my larger goals this year. I'm sure there are more--and more practical ways to bring those changes about. But, there's lots of time. May your fasting be blessed!

Comments on ""

 

Blogger Katie said ... (February 21, 2010 4:48 PM) : 

Nice to "see" you again!

Sounds like good goals! I had to modify fasting after I nearly passed out on Ash Wednesday. Traditional fast and being pregnant apparently doesn't agree with me.

 

Blogger erin said ... (February 21, 2010 5:59 PM) : 

Yeah, the East goes vegan for all of Lent. And while I'm sure there are plenty of very healthy pregnant vegans out there, I'm totally not one of them. And I'm not doing dairy anymore, so I find it hard to even go meatless.
So, yeah. 'Simple living' feels like the best I can aim for right now.

Gosh, Katie. I'd love to catch up more. What an astounding year you've had. How are you? How are the girls?
Blessings and warmth,
Erin

 

post a comment