Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled.

Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in spirit, for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake.

Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Matthew 5:3-12

Oh Lord,

Teach me to seek You and reveal yourself to me when I seek You.

For I cannot seek You unless You first teach me, nor find You unless You first reveal yourself to me.

Let me seek You in longing, and long for You in seeking.

Let me find You in love, and love You in finding.

~Saint Ambrose of Milan

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>

Name: Erin Yonke

Location: Aurora, IL

Info: I'm happily married to my husband and champion pro-life activist, Matt. I stay home with my three small boys; Ambrose (11/06), Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10).

Sunday, November 18, 2007

adventures in cloth diapering...

I'll spare you all a lengthy post about all of my newly-formed opinions and preferences within cloth diapering, but I wanted to post some pictures of my new all-in-one (diaper + cover) pocket diapers that I've been spending most of my free time working on. I'm really pleased with them! And the best part? To buy diapers like these new, they would be $11-$13 each. I, on the other hand, hit the Veteran's day sale at Joann's and spend $10.66 total, and made 15 diapers. They've basically already paid for themselves, in relation to disposables.

One side is flannel, and the outer layer is high-performance alpine fleece (as a cover--though some would insist that you need even higher quality fleece, this works just fine). I'm stuffing them with prefolds and an extra soaker made from scraps of flannel, old towels, and fleece.

Anyway, here they are:




Inside the pocket


And, of course, sealed with a snappi. Maybe someday I'll get the boy to hold still long enough to get a shot of him wearing one. Until then, you'll have to take my word for it. :-)

Comments on "adventures in cloth diapering..."

 

Blogger kris said ... (November 19, 2007 7:34 AM) : 

hey those are fantastic!!! first of all I envy your sewing ability and your sewing machine! I'm asking santas for a sewing machine this year!!! Secondly, I've considered cloth diapers myself but the amount of laundry I do for 7 people right now has me up to my eyeballs in laundry as is. I can't imagine adding to it...so hello pampers and sorry Al Gore more junk for the ozone destroying garbage dumps! :)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (November 23, 2007 3:22 PM) : 

Those are very cute! Where did you get the pattern? I have a relative that wants to use cloth diapers and I was thinking of trying to make a few personalized ones as gifts.

 

Blogger erin said ... (November 23, 2007 6:57 PM) : 

lady of the lakes--
the pattern i used is called Rita's Rump pocket, which can be found (free!) here:
http://www.jordanpaperarts.com/tana/diapers/RRP/Ritas-Rump-Pocket-Pattern.htm
They're super easy, and very nice. Thanks for stopping by--I enjoyed checking out your blog!

 

Blogger Sarah Faith said ... (November 29, 2007 8:45 AM) : 

So totally cool. I am way impressed. I would love to hear the rest of your story too.

I can relate to Kris with the laundry situation. That is what kept me from cloth for the longest time. With the laundry on one level with the kitchen it helps a LOT - as does having only about 10 outfits per person per season. Somehow if you have more clothes they get worn at a faster rate. One of those strange things that my husband could probably write a formula to explain.

 

Blogger John Jansen said ... (December 05, 2007 1:54 PM) : 

Glad to hear you like cloth diapers.

The miser in me loves them.

A friend of ours recently gave us a snappi. What a brilliant invention!

 

post a comment