Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled.

Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in spirit, for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake.

Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Matthew 5:3-12

Oh Lord,

Teach me to seek You and reveal yourself to me when I seek You.

For I cannot seek You unless You first teach me, nor find You unless You first reveal yourself to me.

Let me seek You in longing, and long for You in seeking.

Let me find You in love, and love You in finding.

~Saint Ambrose of Milan

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>

Name: Erin Yonke

Location: Aurora, IL

Info: I'm happily married to my husband and champion pro-life activist, Matt. I stay home with my three small boys; Ambrose (11/06), Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10).

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

on the menu tonight...

A few times a year, I indulge. I love this jambalaya recipe. It's from my mother in law, and it's the perfect combination of sweet and spicy. Oh, so good.

Ingredients:
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 pound smoked sausage
1 C. chopped onions
1 C. chopped celery
1 T. minced garlic
2 C. rice
5 C. chicken stock
1 C. sliced carrots
1 pint tomato sauce
3/4 C. brown sugar
Tabasco or cayenne to taste...we use cayenne, mostly because we'd use an entire bottle of tabasco on one pot of this.
1 t. paprika
salt & pepper

Season chicken with salt and pepper, brown with garlic. remove to large cooking pot. Saute onions and celery, remove to pot. Melt brown sugar in fry pan. Add sausage and brown. Remove to pot. Add rice, carrots, tomato sauce, paprika, cayenne (or tabasco), salt and pepper to pot and cover with chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until rice is cooked, approx. 30 minutes.

I meant to post a picture, but forgot to do it before it was all cleaned up and put in the fridge. You'll have to use your imagination this time, folks.

Also, Ambrose started saying "all done" today. Usually only after I say it (i.e., when he's done eating, getting a diaper change, getting out of the bath), but I'm pretty sure he knows what it means. It comes out as a very sweet "uh-DUN". So cute.

Comments on "on the menu tonight..."

 

Blogger jennifer said ... (October 20, 2007 8:49 AM) : 

Oh yes... the best in the world! I'm crazy about this recipe, after you made it for us. Wish I had all the ingredients in the house right now. :(

 

post a comment