Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled.

Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in spirit, for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake.

Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Matthew 5:3-12

Oh Lord,

Teach me to seek You and reveal yourself to me when I seek You.

For I cannot seek You unless You first teach me, nor find You unless You first reveal yourself to me.

Let me seek You in longing, and long for You in seeking.

Let me find You in love, and love You in finding.

~Saint Ambrose of Milan

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>

Name: Erin Yonke

Location: Aurora, IL

Info: I'm happily married to my husband and champion pro-life activist, Matt. I stay home with my three small boys; Ambrose (11/06), Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10).

Monday, May 21, 2007

lame. (a rant).

A few weeks ago, I stumbled across a suitcase full of old cookbooks that someone had apparently discarded while I was taking the trash to the dumpster. I mean, really, really old--like from the 1920's & 30's. The recipes are interesting enough, but I'll tell you, what's most fascinating about these books are the advertisements in the back.
The way they appealed to women back then is so different from the way they appeal to women now. For example:

"Good hostesses prefer delicacies by Raffetto!"

"Every good housewife want things to look bright and clean! Use SAMOLINE, it cleans everything!"

"Is it any wonder that all good housewives of today prefer Ball?" Jars?

Seems to me like any company trying to market something to women using a phrase like "good housewife" or "good hostess" would probably lose business anymore, if not get sued by some crazy feminist who decided it offended her.
What's sad, to me, is that women today no longer take any pride in femininity. Our culture has been so poisoned by feminism, and women are no longer allowed by society to take pride in being a good hostess, in being a good cook, a good housekeeper, a good mother. Instead, we're told that we should be some sexy, sassy, high-end, high-mainenance, degree-earning, pants-wearing, dominating man-eater. There's no room in our culture to appreciate the beauty of fertility, to celebrate the new life that God creates in a woman. In fact, the widespread use of contraception has both told women that they ought not "create too much", thus robbing them of their most beautiful God-given gift, and has left them to find some other means to prove themselves as valuable contributors to society.
And so they try to be like men.
And that's lame.

America, I am so sick of you.

Comments on "lame. (a rant)."

 

Blogger Matt said ... (May 21, 2007 7:28 PM) : 

Do you people see why I love this woman? Way to glory in your femeninity babe! Unfortunately this nonsense isn't limited to America. Ugh.

I love you!

 

Blogger kris said ... (May 22, 2007 11:50 AM) : 

Finally! The woman I've been searching for! We are of like mind on this one! Your post made me shake my head in agreement and your final line made me laugh out loud! Thank you SOOOO much for making me realize that there are women out there that are not too "brainwashed" to miss the point of womanhood all together and still not too "pious" to have a sense of humor about it!
I think I'll add you to my blog roll!! - Kris

 

Blogger Sarah Faith said ... (May 22, 2007 1:11 PM) : 

Did you ever see that spoof page from Good Housekeeping? It's been dismissed as genuine but the funny part is that the person who drew it up was trying to be ironic. When I looked at it, though, I could find very few things I would even disagree with! Ha ha.

Your "high end, high maintenance, degree earning... man eater" sentence is pretty much verbatim what my husband called me, ten days before we knew we were going to get married. That is actually how we got together. I told him he was wrong and he set out to prove he wasn't. Then, we fell in love and it was too late. :-)

 

Blogger Aisling said ... (May 31, 2007 5:50 AM) : 

This is beautiful ... http://www.womenofgrace.com/reflections/gfmreflections.htm

(someone posted this on a Catholic LJ saying how 'awful' it was. But I like it.

 

Blogger erin said ... (May 31, 2007 9:34 AM) : 

aisling,
looks lovely! thanks so much! do we know one another?

 

Blogger Erin said ... (June 05, 2007 11:04 AM) : 

I couldn't agree more with this post... have you read any G.K. Chesterton? He writes a lot about this... how only a woman, a mother, can be everything to one small person, and that true femininity is a beautiful thing.

I love your blog, by the way... just stumbled across it today!

From another Catholic, nursing, SAHM Erin (but only a small percentage Irish!)

 

Blogger erin said ... (June 07, 2007 7:44 AM) : 

erin, thanks! unfortunately, I haven't read enough Chesterton, though my hubby loves him. Stopped by your blog the other day. What a cutie little Caroline is! You should post more often! ;-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (June 08, 2007 12:20 PM) : 

I don't think it's that you're not allowed to be feminine.. I think it's that so many women no longer identify themselves primarily as "good housekeepers" and a lot of that is the multitude of ways that housekeeping has been made more convenient over the years. They estimate that the average WOHM spends the SAME amount of time with her child as the average SAHM used to in the 70s, JUST because of easier housekeeping and convenience items! But look at all the stuff marketed to the "good mom" - because all women with kids identify with "good mom".

 

post a comment