Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled.

Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in spirit, for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake.

Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Matthew 5:3-12

Oh Lord,

Teach me to seek You and reveal yourself to me when I seek You.

For I cannot seek You unless You first teach me, nor find You unless You first reveal yourself to me.

Let me seek You in longing, and long for You in seeking.

Let me find You in love, and love You in finding.

~Saint Ambrose of Milan

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>

Name: Erin Yonke

Location: Aurora, IL

Info: I'm happily married to my husband and champion pro-life activist, Matt. I stay home with my three small boys; Ambrose (11/06), Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10).

Friday, March 19, 2010

Talking with Ambrose lately has become a series (barrage? attack?) of questions--primarily, "Why? WHY? WHY?!!!". Oftentimes his questions are nearly impossible to answer, especially given their incessant nature and strong demand for an immediate response. I find it totally endearing and simultaneously feel as though he is tying knots in my brain each time we talk. Anyway, in hopes of not forgetting these strangely charming & fatiguing chats, I've posted one.

This is a very real, standard, and unedited conversation that I had with Ambrose while out on a walk a little while ago.

We had just passed a woman who was carrying a large bag of clothes.

Ambrose: Mama, what is that lady carrying?
Me: Oh, it looks like a big bag of clothes.
A: What clothes? Who's clothes are they? What is she going to to do with them?
M: They're her clothes. Maybe she's taking them home to put them away.
A: Is she going to wash them?
M: I don't know, maybe.
A: Is she going to wash them because they're dirty?
M: Perhaps. I really don't know what she's going to do with them, Ambrose.
A: Are they dirty because someone put them in the mud? Who put them in the mud?
M: I don't think anyone put them in the mud. But maybe. You never know.
A: Why did they put them in the mud?
M: I don't think anyone put the clothes in the mud, Ambrose.
A: Why did they put them in the mud? WHY? WHY, MAMA?!!!
M: I don't know, Ambrose. I don't think the clothes are muddy.
A: Who's clothes are those? Can we go straight? Can I go see those muddy clothes?
M: No, we can't go see them. We're going this way, to our house.
A: Ohhh, but I wanted to see them! What is that noise I hear? Can you tell me?
M: Birds.
A: What are they doing?
M: Chirping, or singing.
A: Why are they doing that? Are they dancing, too? Do birds like to eat snakes?
M: No, birds don't eat snakes. Birds eat bugs and seeds and berries.
A: Why?
M: Because that's the food God made for them.
A: Why?
M: Just is.
A: Can you tell me why? Why, Mama? WHY?!!!
M: What? I don't know--that's just the food God made for them to eat. That's all.
A: Can you tell me why?
M: I just did tell you why. God made birds to eat bugs and seeds and berries so that they don't have to be hungry.
A: But why?

It goes on, but I'm sure you can imagine the rest.

It's another gorgeous day here, but snow is in the forecast for tomorrow.

Comments on ""

 

Blogger Megan said ... (March 19, 2010 8:21 PM) : 

Ahhhhhhh, yes. I can relate. :-) Frequently, when we get to the "it just is" part of the conversation, I'll ask Whitney why SHE thinks it's so. Makes for some interesting twists in the chatter!

 

post a comment