Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled.

Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in spirit, for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake.

Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Matthew 5:3-12

Oh Lord,

Teach me to seek You and reveal yourself to me when I seek You.

For I cannot seek You unless You first teach me, nor find You unless You first reveal yourself to me.

Let me seek You in longing, and long for You in seeking.

Let me find You in love, and love You in finding.

~Saint Ambrose of Milan

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>

Name: Erin Yonke

Location: Aurora, IL

Info: I'm happily married to my husband and champion pro-life activist, Matt. I stay home with my three small boys; Ambrose (11/06), Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10).

Thursday, January 18, 2007

why I'm going to die of a heart attack, and you should too.

Reason # 1: I have single-handedly devoured two 9" x 13" chocolate cakes since last Wednesday. By myself. Recently, there's been remarks made about how "lucky I am" to not have to worry about my figure--believe me, it's not that I don't have to worry, it's that when I wake up in the morning, I'm just astounded that I don't weigh 700 lbs.

Reason #2: When I was pregnant and totally in love with pizza, I began a search for the perfect deep dish recipe. I've found it. And, since my baby took a nice nap this afternoon, I had time to make it for dinner. Anyway, this crust recipe (which is, by the way, the key to deep dish pizza) is so delicious (rivaling Gino's) that I thought I'd share it:

Perfect Pizza Crust
1 cup warm water with a touch of sugar
1 package of yeast
2 tbsp. cornmeal
1 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. olive oil
2 1/2 cups flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water with sugar. Let the yeast foam for a few minutes. Add remaining ingredients and knead for ten minutes if you have a Kitchen Aid. If you don't have a Kitchen Aid, knead till you're really sick of kneading (approximately 2 minutes). Put the dough in a greased bowl and let rise for at least one hour. When the dough has risen, gently deflate and roll out 3 inches larger than your pizza pan. Generously grease the pan with BUTTER, lay the crust in the pan, press up the sides, and trim the excess from the outer edge. Brush with butter and pre-bake the crust at 350 for 15 minutes, or until the crust is no longer soft in the center. When cooked, layer cheese, toppings, sauce. Bake for another 15 minutes, until cheese is melted and crust is browned.

Comments on "why I'm going to die of a heart attack, and you should too."

 

Blogger Matt said ... (January 18, 2007 7:25 PM) : 

Yeah, that pizza's as good as she makes it out to be. And we live in the home of the best deep dish pizza in the world.

Also, she does eat remarkable amounts of cake. That's why I love her. That's also my my baby is made primarily of pizza and cake.

 

Blogger Sarah Faith said ... (January 19, 2007 6:43 PM) : 

cool, i never thought of using corn meal in a pizza crust. i should try that sometime.
doesn't nursing just give you the biggest sweet tooth? it does me! i need pastries for breakfast like every day. i have been making scones every week. (with chocolate chips of course)
:-) maybe that is why i still have 10 lb of baby weight to lose... ha ha

 

Blogger erin said ... (January 20, 2007 10:34 AM) : 

mmm..scones. i think my cravings are worse now than when i was pregnant! i eat waaay more, too. don't think about baby weight--YOU look fantastic! just do like I do: anything less than 700lbs is worth throwing a parade for.

 

Blogger Sarah Faith said ... (January 20, 2007 11:26 AM) : 

yeah that's all well and good until i go visit my sister who is 9 mos preg about to deliver and smaller in the midsection than I am. lol. i'm not really kidding.

 

Blogger Kacy said ... (January 21, 2007 11:27 PM) : 

My fiance and I tried your pizza crust recipe Saturday night, and it WAS delicious. Thanks for the instructions. We made a Tex-Mex fajita pizza using your crust. You just substitute salsa for the tomatto sauce. Use a Mexican-blend shredded cheese, and top with sauted onion, bell-pepper, and seasoned chicken fajita strips. You can also add cilantro for an extra kick.

 

Blogger erin said ... (January 23, 2007 8:57 AM) : 

ooh, Kacy, that sounds really, really good. thanks a bunch! so glad you guys liked the recipe. by the way, I'm so excited for you two! When I was reading your conversion post, I realized that the big day is less than 5 months away. Yay!!

 

post a comment