Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled.

Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in spirit, for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake.

Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Matthew 5:3-12

Oh Lord,

Teach me to seek You and reveal yourself to me when I seek You.

For I cannot seek You unless You first teach me, nor find You unless You first reveal yourself to me.

Let me seek You in longing, and long for You in seeking.

Let me find You in love, and love You in finding.

~Saint Ambrose of Milan

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>

Name: Erin Yonke

Location: Aurora, IL

Info: I'm happily married to my husband and champion pro-life activist, Matt. I stay home with my three small boys; Ambrose (11/06), Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10).

Thursday, January 11, 2007

on the gravity of prayer.

So, during the many, many (oh, so many) hours I spend nursing Ambrose every day, I've begun reading The Interior Castle by St. Teresa of Avila.
She begins the book by discussing the effects of prayer on a person's soul-stating that prayer itself is the means through which we access our soul. It's interesting. I'll write more as I read more. But, what struck me today were these particular quotes on the seriousness of prayer. I so often grow lazy in daily prayer--only offering a request for one thing or another when it springs to mind, forgetting that we are called to be a prayerful people, that prayer is a serious command, and that we pray to a serious Creator. In this section, St. Teresa is discussing "hollow prayers" (i.e. rattling off the Our Father while mentally making your grocery list), but I think it applies equally to flippancy with any petition before Our Lord.

"If a person neither considers to Whom he is addressing himself, what he asks, nor what he is who ventures to speak to God, though his lips may utter many words, I do not call it prayer."

"The custom of speaking to God Almighty as freely as with a slave--caring nothing whether the words are suitable or not, but simply saying the first thing that comes to mind from being learnt by wrote or by frequent repetition--cannot be called prayer: God grant that no Christian may address Him in this manner."

On a less serious note:

(what?! you mean people really don't love to stare at my baby as much as I do?)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Heartbreaker.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Staring adoringly at the ceiling fan.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Finally! I caught the real 'Magnum'.

Comments on "on the gravity of prayer."

 

post a comment