Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled.

Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in spirit, for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake.

Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Matthew 5:3-12

Oh Lord,

Teach me to seek You and reveal yourself to me when I seek You.

For I cannot seek You unless You first teach me, nor find You unless You first reveal yourself to me.

Let me seek You in longing, and long for You in seeking.

Let me find You in love, and love You in finding.

~Saint Ambrose of Milan

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>

Name: Erin Yonke

Location: Aurora, IL

Info: I'm happily married to my husband and champion pro-life activist, Matt. I stay home with my three small boys; Ambrose (11/06), Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10).

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Face the Truth

This is the sign I carried yesterday when I went out with the Pro-Life Action League to protest in Rockford. We lined up alongside the road at busy intersections with a few other images of murdered babies--in such a way that there were 10-15 images of a first trimester abortion (at least 20 feet between each sign, too), then 10-15 of a second trimester (which is what you see here) and then the same of the third trimester....and variations on that theme. In the end, our protests at three different sites stretched out for a mile or more. I was fortunate enough to be standing near stoplights at 2 of the stops, which gave me ample opportunity to talk with drivers as they waited for their light.

It was remarkable.

I'd have to say that it's encouraging that the feedback was pretty evenly split between getting a thumbs up and getting flipped off. But the thing is, at least for me, that I'm not standing out there with that sign to convince the hard-headed-pro-aborts that abortion is wrong. I'm standing out there so that the completely unaware half of the population knows what abortion really is. Because they really, truly don't know. I'm standing out there for the 15-year-old girls who gasp in horror and ask, "Is that really a baby?" and for the big black man who took a long, hard look at my sign and declared, "That SUCKS! I am a-GAINST that!", for the elderly couples who shake their heads muttering, "What a shame."

Early in the morning, two ridiculous liberals pulled up in front of me and began a discussion:
"Are you guys Christians?"
me: "Yes."
guy:"Let me ask you something. Why do this? What effect do you think this is going to have?"
me: "I'm doing it so people know what they're doing to babies."
guy: "People know what they're doing to babies." (said in the MOST condescending way. He proceeded to ask me about the war and a few completely irrelevent questions.)

But they don't. They don't know. In fact, I bet that most of the women who decide to abort their babies don't know what that means, as is evidenced by the woman who came strolling along the sidewalk just moments after that bozo drove off.
She came over to admire Ambrose, who was sleeping pretty soundly. "Gosh, he's cute," she said, stroking his arm. She looked at my sign for a moment, and then slowly started moving on. "I had one of those once," she said, pointing at the sign. She paused and stared for a moment. "But I'm real sorry. I didn't know it was like that. I didn't know. It was just my situation...but I didn't know."

Killing babies--killing anyone--is wrong. But they're not just stopping a beating heart (which would be awful enough in itself). They're brutally and unapologetically dismembering and murdering them. People need to know that.

Anyway, Ambrose and I are going back out again with the Pro-life Action League tomorrow and on Saturday. Pray for us and for the group and most importantly, for the message.

Comments on "Face the Truth"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (July 12, 2007 7:49 PM) : 

You go girl!! (This is Ash btw, being lazy and not signing in :-p ). I'm so very proud of you guys! (even little Ambrose because he's a good 'sign' all by himself, in all his cuteness he says "we want to live, we are people!". As you know, I had an older sibling aborted, and it doesn't just affect the mother and father, but the whole family! I wish so bad that we could have known each other. The only good thing thats come from it is being able to tell people about it. And I'm glad that you are telling people, and showing people that IT IS A BABY, it's a HUMAN! *pat on the back* to all you guys!
Love, Ash

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (July 12, 2007 7:56 PM) : 

P/S (Ash again :-p ) I have encountered Liberals like that, and are VERY much aware of what Abortion is, and what it does. The comedian Wanda Sikes was saying how "No one is FOR abortion.. it just happens, sometimes it has to happen" and when I heard that I was like "WHOA!" I have met SEVERAL 'liberals' who were very aware of the procedures and still chose to tell me how GOOD it is for our environment (over-population ect) and the 'mother's wellbeing' among other things. (like, "girls are just going to find a way to do it"). And they even seemed 'proud' and showing enjoyment over the subject. So we need to pray HARD for the Liberal population, because many have very cold hearts. (and I'm sure there are Conservatives too.. maybe... I haven't met many yet that are pro-MURDER)
Talk to ya soon!
Ash

 

Blogger erin said ... (July 13, 2007 7:52 AM) : 

Ash, thanks for leaving me a comment. I was beginning to think I was writing in a different language or something with the sudden drop in blog feedback. Aw, well...what are ya gonna do?
Anyway, while we've been standing out there, I've spent alot of time praying for the passers-by we see out there. It makes them so furious to see the truth--because it's not just a "blob of tissue", you know? But the saddest thing of all is that most of those women aren't murderers, and it's understandable that they would get so angry when we make them out to be! Sure, there's the occasional heartless bastard who doesn't care about the 4,000 innocent unborn US citizens that get brutally murdered by our own doctors every day, but most people just do it because they're pressured to, because people they love tell them that it's the right thing to do. And thats why we have to tell them it's not! And we need to steer those women--who earnestly thought they made the right choice--to Jesus and to the arms of people who can help them find healing and forgiveness.
Pray for us!

 

Blogger kris said ... (July 14, 2007 7:37 AM) : 

For the woman who suffers from a prior abortion herself - I hope that she finds the love of Jesus healing. We MUST do more to help women who are afraid and ashamed. We must make abortion an option they'd never consider and then show them that there are people out there who love them and want to help them and their baby...that's the solution to this evil.

 

Blogger erin said ... (July 15, 2007 1:09 PM) : 

Kris,
That is so true. Abortion kills babies, but it eternally scars women too. Thanks so much for commenting.

 

Blogger aleebannister said ... (July 16, 2007 1:52 PM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Blogger aleebannister said ... (July 16, 2007 1:53 PM) : 

My husband and I use to live in Trenton, NJ and there was a guy named John Tomaki(I think that is how you spell his name). He was the found of a pro life organization. He had showed us pitures of him doing the protest. It was awesome.

If I ever get a chance to do that I want to be 8 month pregnant.

 

Blogger aleebannister said ... (July 16, 2007 1:55 PM) : 

That was me above that deleted their post. I said I lived in NJ which is not true.

 

Blogger John Jansen said ... (July 25, 2007 11:22 AM) : 

Erin,

I meant to post a comment last week when I first saw this post on your blog, but it slipped my mind.

I'm glad you enjoyed your first FTT Tour. Next time you come out, you'll no longer be a rookie!

Thanks also for loaning us your husband for a week. (I would have posted a comment to that effect on his blog, but when I went there, it had cobwebs on it.)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (July 27, 2007 11:35 PM) : 

Hi there - I'm a total stranger, but linked to your blog from MDC. I just wanted to say what an awesome thing to do because people do not know what they're doing so much of the time. I lost a baby at 22 weeks due to an incompetent cervix -- he essentially fell out of me. It just broke our hearts to lose our baby. Later, a friend came to us who had been with us through our loss, the memorial service, and weeks of grieving to tell us that she was post-abortive and at age 14, had been forced by her grandparent to have an abortion. She is now a grown woman and a mother of 4, but our baby was the first 22-weeker she had ever seen. For some reason as a grown woman, it had still been nearly impossible for her to recognize her baby that was aborted was "as real" as the baby we were mouring. I appreciate you informing people of the truth of their decision... Maybe because of your actions, many babies and mommies can be saved from the heartbreak of abortion.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (August 03, 2007 1:06 PM) : 

Thanks for your courage! I think I was part of a Face the Truth tour a long time ago (when I was small), and I hope to join again some time soon.

Blessings!

 

post a comment