Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled.

Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in spirit, for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake.

Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Matthew 5:3-12

Oh Lord,

Teach me to seek You and reveal yourself to me when I seek You.

For I cannot seek You unless You first teach me, nor find You unless You first reveal yourself to me.

Let me seek You in longing, and long for You in seeking.

Let me find You in love, and love You in finding.

~Saint Ambrose of Milan

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>

Name: Erin Yonke

Location: Aurora, IL

Info: I'm happily married to my husband and champion pro-life activist, Matt. I stay home with my three small boys; Ambrose (11/06), Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10).

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

oh, it's true.

As most of you who are reading this already know, my husband and I are in the process of converting to Catholocism.

I'll pause here for a moment, to allow room for looks of disgust, gasps, and name-calling. I know what you're thinking, and you would be wrong to think for even a minute that it doesn't hurt my heart to know the disdain with which you're looking on me. Nevertheless...read on.

In recent weeks, Matt has been hosting most of the discussion on this topic, both on his blog and in person or phone conversations. It has been the popular opinion held by both friends and family that this decision is merely a romantic notion, made in haste with complete disregard as to the effect it will carry into our lives. Or, that this is a decision made soley from intellectual debates, without any real substance on which to ground our faith.

I stand entirely beside my husband and behind his arguments. However, I do, in all honesty, see how it is easy for someone to quickly dismiss him this way. It has been an entirely different set of thoughts that has brought me to these same conclusions. I am not an intellectual. But, I'll muster up a bit of confidence here when I say that I am not stupid.

And so, I beg of anyone here who knows me: What is it about my character that would make you believe that I would make--or even consent--to a decision like this without spending much, much time in prayer and in the Holy Scriptures?

Do you see in me, in the way I live my life, in the way I manage my household, in the way I treat my family and those in authority over me, prominent and consistent attitudes of rebellion, malicious or otherwise?

Have you seen a habitual tendency in me to be easily swayed by whims, intellectual persuits, lusts of the flesh? Have I shown complete lack of judgement in the decisions that I've made?

Am I quickly given to gossip or slander?

Have I proved myself to be so timid, has my faith shown itself to be so weak that I would quickly be bullied or persuaded by anything less than the Holy Spirit and the grace of God to make a decision such as this one?

I ask this of you so that if, in fact, I have proven myself to be these things, I might right myself before both God and man.

If you have not seen these patterns of behavior in my life, however, I would urge you to read what I have to say with a quiet heart. I'll share with you the things I believe, both changed and unchanged. I am not seeking a debate, though comments and questions are certainly welcome, either here or at: tolovemercy@yahoo.com

Blessings!

Comments on "oh, it's true."

 

post a comment